November 3, 2007

Drizzle, Crafts and 1000 Places

Off to the first Christmas craft fair in the drizzle......

The entrance to Beban Park buildings and the craft fair entrance.


There weren't huge crowds there - probably because of the miserable day. I was not impressed by most of the crafts and didn't buy a thing. It amazes me that people spend all year making things that nobody wants.......

On the way back to the car these berries took my eye, and this goofy rhododendron that thinks it is spring.....



To continue the '1000 Places to See Before You Die'.....
and counting up my score.

10. Blenheim Palace - The palace where Winston Churchill was born is rather an ugly pile, but the grounds are beautiful.
I didn't realize I was taking a charming bum picture.....


11. Bath - After a quick view of the Roman baths, I walked over quite a bit of the city. There is lovely Georgian architecture and a pretty river running through the valley.
(The rest of today's pics are digital pictures of old regular pictures I took before I had the digital camera, so the quality is lousy.)

12. Stratford-Upon-Avon - I have had a tour of Shakespeare's house but only saw the garden and outside of Anne Hathaway's cottage (below). I took a slow peaceful boat ride on the Avon, with lovely homes and weeping willows into the water, and glimpses of churches and the big theatres.

13. Stonehenge - We were on a tour, and the guide insisted that we leave very early in the morning to get to Stonehenge as early as possible - and that was great as we arrived before the masses of tourists. It was misty and there was lots of atmosphere. It is really very impressive.....

14. York Minster - This is the enormous cathedral in York - northeast England. It is the largest medieval church north of the Alps and the building began in 1220, on a site where earlier churches had stood. Nearby are the narrow cobbled streets with overhanging buildings called The Shambles. I don't have a picture of York Minster or the Shambles......

No comments: