November 2, 2007

Critters and 1000 Things

Critters seen out my windows....

For those who do not know where I live - the immediate area is filled with deer. They eat the gardens, stop the traffic and people drive along the street just to see them, stopping in the middle of the street just when I am in a hurry to get somewhere.


On my railing - possibly a married couple who are not speaking.

I like the finches! They are here every day and sing beautifully.


I picked up a book that I have had for ages - '1000 Places to See Before You Die'. As I am getting older, I thought I would see how I am doing. Some places I saw before I had a digital camera, so you will just have to take my word for it. So...... starting from the beginning of the book and in England, here goes.

1. Windsor Castle - Lenore and I did an afternoon tour out of London, if I remember correctly - and didn't have time to really see everything.
2. Chester in Cheshire - this is a neat city - the wrought-iron clock tower over the street and the half-timbered buildings.
3. Land's End - after you run a gauntlet of souvenir shops you can walk on the paths looking down on the jagged rocks and the sea.
4. St. Ives - one of my favourite places in the world. I have been here three times. The second time I visited, I bought a delicious ice cream cone at a small shop in the harbour and stood leaning with my elbows on this stone wall to watch the going-ons in the harbour. Suddenly a seagull flew over my shoulder, snatched the cone and disappeared with it. I was left standing there with an inch of cone left in my fingers. I had been warned about the gulls, but didn't think they would be this aggressive!

5. The Royal Pavilion - Brighton. I didn't get to see the interior as it was too late in the day when I arrived, but I walked around the outside.
6. The Cotswolds - This area in south west England has the most attractive little towns imaginable. Below is Broadway.

7. Winchester Cathedral
8. The Lake District
9. Cambridge University - here are punts on the Cam River.


I am just amusing myself - I guess if people are bored they won't visit any more!


No comments: