November 9, 2007

The Buttertubs Challenge

It has rained and rained and rained all week. I thought that maybe I might have to skip this challenge - but lo and behold, the rain stopped and there was even bits of blue this afternoon. So off I dashed to do my part. It actually was warm out! Very pleasant......
It is my choice for next week's challenge - let's just do the waterfront - Cameron Island to the Bistro. OK? It's a bit different flavour.... how do you see it?

Buttertubs was looking very nice. I don't think I have been there this late in the fall, but it looked attractive with lots of autumn leaves left.

The paths to the north and west are lined with huge old English oak trees. These are not native - they were planted in the 1920s. It was neat to walk over the paths that were golden with the oak leaves.

I am wondering if more and more of the marsh is being taken over by bullrushes. It seems to me that there are more than when I visited here on previous years.

On the east side of the marsh are lombardi poplars, also planted in the 1920s, and there are a bunch of trees that are covered with these red berries. I have no idea what they are.......

After I walked here and there, I sat down on the wide 'steps' at about the only place where there is bird access. I pulled out the baggie of bird seed and waited.

Not for long! The ducks and pigeons have one eye on this area waiting for humans with bird seed.

I took oodles of pictures of greedy birds, but in the end kept only this one.....

When all the seed was gone the fickle birds left me sitting there alone ........
You can see the same pictures in a larger format here. Refresh if you don't see them.

3 comments:

raine said...

Gorgeous! I haven't been yet, I will go tomorrow. Love your berries and duckies. Great!

dilling said...

first again!!!!!
I better wake up earlier.
I love those duck photos... it was lovely there...

emily said...

Great photos and it looks like a wonderful morning.

Can't wait until next week!