December 6, 2007

The Snow Challenge

Yuck! I hate snow. This isn't a mild dislike - I truly HATE it. You see, I lived for 30 years in northern BC where we had nine months winter and three months poor sledding - or, to put it another way - almost winter, winter, still winter and dust. When I moved south I swore I would go where people asked if the car was electric when they saw the cord and 3-prong plug out the front. When it snows on the Island I am very annoyed, even insulted.
So, when it snowed last week I wound up the furnace, put on the fireplace and didn't move out of the house until it rained and the snow was all gone. All the pictures below were taken through my windows, which accounts for some of the low quality!

The snow came down one afternoon as big as toonies - no, much bigger....

My flowers had been trying to keep blooming until this landed.

My computer desk is in front of the window, and just outside this window I have a bird feeder and a hummingbird feeder. There was lots of action on the snowy days! This is a finch, of course.

The juncos are cute little birds. They always look clean and tidy.


Some of the finches looked anything but tidy. They were all puffed up to keep warm.

The rufous-sided towhees are my favourite visitors, but they are difficult to photograph because they are always in motion. They have a sassy character.....

The hummers were very busy feeding on the snowy days. Funny - I just realized from the picture that I don't have the perches opposite the feeding places - the poor things have to keep flying to eat!


This hummer spent time sitting on the tree on my deck. This picture doesn't show how tiny he is.

Then I went to the back of my house. On the hill behind my fence there were two deer plowing through the snow. They have a path there, but I imagine it wasn't as easy for a few days. The second one is partly behind the tree - a little buck.

It is sad, but I guess it really is winter. I shall go to Victoria tomorrow and see how many flowers I can find blooming to make me feel better.

Go and see what Rain and Dilling and Krista have done.

4 comments:

Ruth L.~ said...

Lovely, beautiful, gorgeous photos. Reconsider your dislike of snow. :>)

raine said...

I love the juncos. I still say they should have little red ribbons around their necks.

dilling said...

I don't have a great love for snow once the novelty wears off. Here on the coast, it's pretty icky.
Wish we could have a bird feeder here, but they just become Cat Feeders. They bring so much wonder, don't they? Our feathered friends.

georgia strait said...

Thanks, Ruth! But I don't think I will reconsider.....
Merry Junco Christmas? (Is the plural 'juncoes'?)
Dilling - I love the birdies. I know about cat feeders - and that is one reason I won't have a cat.